Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Happy Birthday Alex!

It was a strange thing to wake up this morning and realize that I am the mother of an ADULT! How is that even possible?? I need to take some cute pictures tonight to post later so that I can show him off a little....but since it is his birthday, I am giving myself permission to brag/blog a little about him!
I don't even know where to start....I love this kid so much that it seriously hurts! He is such a bright spot in our family and things are always so much more fun when he is around. He has a certain charm and charisma that is rare in a teenage boy. I feel so blessed that I get to be his mother. He is a giant of a man in my eyes and I am excited to see what he does with his life.
He has never outgrown the need for daily bear hugs from his mom and never ever goes a day without expressing his love and appreciation for me.He will often text me from school just to say he loves me and to have a great day. That means so much to me.
Now, the countdown starts...as this is his last year at home. I am a sobbing idiot about it, even though nothing will be greater for him than to serve a mission.

Last night was FHE and we were all singing this goofy song that Abe wanted us to sing and Alex was just in the corner laughing his head off and then we all started laughing....and I just started to cry, thinking of our house without him here. In fact, the tears have started again, so I better just quit....but for all of you who are struggling through the days with your kids...please take it from me that it goes so fast! Before you know it, they are MEN and WOMEN! There were many days when Alex made me cry (they were not tears of joy!) and I wondered how I was going to raise this miniature lawyer!! He had a stubborn streak that would make your head spin. I try to keep that in mind these days as I am raising my true "ticket to Heaven" AKA...???
My advice to every mom is to try to look at your kids, not for who they are being at the moment, but for who they have the potential to become. Can I do this all the time? NO. I just keep plugging along just like all of you. But it sure is a nice little bonus when you wake up and realize that you have an 18 year old son who loves his parents, loves his siblings and most importantly, loves his Heavenly Father with all of his heart. It makes it all worth it! I love you Alex.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

you are right tara..he is an amazing "adult" I was going to say kid won't can't anymore! you've done a good job with him. i can't believe you have one that old and we are only 2 years apart! WOW! You'll be a grandma before you know it.

Amy said...

I can't believe that he is 18. Where has the time gone? It seems like just yesterday that he was a little two year old running aroung and making that funny face that he did gritting his teeth and making a fist while shaking from making a fist so tight....remember tha? I love Alex. You have done a great job raising him!