Monday, September 17, 2007

Cell Phone Wars!


ok, I was on my way to bed tonight but thought I might blog about the last 30 minutes of my evening and see what the general concensus is out there on kids having cell phones. My 11 year old son has been all but down on his hands and knees (well he has probably done that a few times actually) begging us to get him a cell phone! Really for no other reason than ALL and I mean ALL of his friends have one! They are in 6th grade!! And to make matters worse, most of them have had a cell phone for at least a year now. He relaxes for a few days about this request and then at the convenient time of bedtime at least twice a week, he will start the whole thing over again. I am really getting worn out with it. He said tonight that he doesn't feel safe riding his bike to school without a cell phone, in case someone tries to snatch him. Do you think he is just pulling at my mother heart strings with that one??? So I said fine...you win. "I will drive you to school and pick you up everyday!" Not quite the compromise he was looking for, but it quieted him down for a few minutes anyway until he could think another reason he had to have one, which was: in case I forgot to pick him up one day then he could call me! (good one)

I just have a problem with young kids having cell phones. If your kids have them, please don't be offended by me. I just feel strongly about giving kids things too early and leaving them nothing to look forward to. Also, my main reason is that I hate the constant "connection" to friends that a cell phone provides. None of us would ever dream of putting a private phone line into our kids rooms and paying for it, but that is what a cell phone is! I don't like not knowing who they are talking to and when...when they are in the 6th grade!!! Now, do my teenagers have them??? YES. There does come a point where it is more for my convenience for them to have one, especially when they are driving and dating. I know that there are situations where kids need one, if they are involved in alot of extra curricular activities maybe, so don't think I am a cell phone hater! I just can't stand it when I see little kids running around with them. It just really gets under my skin.

I am kind of on one tonight huh??? maybe I should have just gone to bed.....but I just wanted to blog this out with all of you. give me your opinions. It probably won't change my mind, but at least it will let me know if I am the ONLY mom that lives in the dark ages and deprives her children of the necessities of life!!

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Tara, I totally agree with you. Did you see that movie Clueless? I remember thinking it was ludicrous that high school kids had cell phones!! I can see the convenience they serve with older kids. But, I'm with you. I just think they don't need them when they're that young.

Amy said...

I agree! I had a hard time with Taylor getting one, but felt like it was time because it was convenient for me. With all her activities and also that she babysat for a few people that did not have a land line. I am luck though because she NEVER talks to her friends on it. She is to worried about people having her # and me taking it away. I let her call her cousins and thats about it. Ellie is already bugging me. I don't know WHAT she is thinking!!!

Kristen said...

you already know how i feel since we had this conversation while i was visiting you. in case anyone else wonders what my stand is...you took the words right out of my mouth!!

p.s. you BETTER not give in because then my kids will start bugging me because "Abe has one!"

Stephanie said...

Great blog. I think it is very silly when young children have cell phones. When they get older it makes more sense, however I was watching Dr. Phil last week and there was a young man who caused an accident that killed a man because he was texting while driving. It is scary and there should be a limit as to when and where cell phones should be allowed.

Anonymous said...

tara, i think they have cell phones that you can get that only can call three numbers. (mom's cell, dad's cell and home) you could get him one of those! LOL he is quite the smartie that abe! i totally agree with not giving kids too much before it is time. good luck with that. he sounds very persistant!
christine